27 October 2009

Disenfranchised EU subjects

A common situation getting commoner (from a mailing list):

>So my question is: are you active in or do you pay attention to your
>local municipal political scene?

These are the only elections I am allowed to take
part in, apart from European elections, but I own
I haven't much paid attention to who was who and
proposed what on a community level, especially as
what politics propose during election campaigns
is basically only geared towards getting your vote.
I voted according to my old family traditions and
beliefs, but that is no longer valid.
I feel more in tune with alternative currents
now, ecologists, anti-consumerists etc. and will
have to look into this more closely. Next elections are far away.

I

I'm a disenfranchised citizen of a leading nondemocratic EU country, too. But everyone in the European Urine is disenfranchised - how many have had a chance to affect the adoption of the Lismal Treaty with a vote? How many will have a chance to affect the choice of an EU President? Blair as our highest representative?

C

No comments: